Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:49:52 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wifi for Lenovo Laptop

Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
> > Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:58 PM
> > Subject: Re: Wifi for Lenovo Laptop
> >
> > On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Chris wrote:
> >
> >>  Using pciconf as per jb's hint tells me it is a broadcom I have:
> >>
> >>  none3@pci0:3:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x060814e4 chip=0x472714e4
> > rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> >>  vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
> >>  device     = 'BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller'
> >>  class      = network
> >>

> >>  As per the release notes for 9.0
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/hardware.html#WLAN), the bwn(4)
driver be
> > the one to use.
> >>
> >>  Added the following to my /boot/loader.conf following the
instructions in
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-wireless.html and
rebooted.

> >>  if_bwn_load="YES"
> >>  wlan_wep_load="YES"
> >>  wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
> >>  wlan_tkip_load="YES"
> >
> > The last three are included in the GENERIC kernel.
> >
> > The bwi and bwn drivers need firmware, which is provided by the
> > net/bwi-firmware-kmod and net/bwn-firmware-kmod ports.  So install
> > whichever is appropriate.  I think the driver tries to load the right
> > firmware automatically, but haven't tried a Broadcom in a while, and it
> > might still be necessary to load the firmware module in
> > /boot/loader.conf.
> >

> Hi Warren,
>

> thanks. Tried with the firmware as well but no better luck. On closer
inspection of the bwn manual, it seems like the 4313 is not on the list of
suppored versions.

> What I did find though was that it is supposedly possible to get working
using NDIS (even with amd64) as per this PC-BSD wiki page
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Wireless_Testing

> I might try the NDIS, but will first see if I can find a USB card as the
'net seems to be full of talk about instability of the NDIS driver for the
4313.

> Thanks to everyone for the help!
>

> BR,
>
>   Chris

it would be cool if the 4313 worked, i've got a couple of those sitting
around here. ill check out that link, thanks. as far as usb goes, I
recommend an ralink based device, like older d_link dongles. (i think
anything new on the shelf is using atheros, usb support not working afaik)
... all the usb ralink devices I found on ebay work perfectly. (there are
even some that have a boosted range of 3km lol)

as far as the bios whitelist, I have an hp with that kind of problem. there
are several ways around it, but they are all dirty/suspect. luckily I found
an ralink that sailed through the detection. you should be able to find out
what lenovo sells as replacement parts to get an idea of what they /approve/

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California