Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:36:31 -0800
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "Sheldon Hearn" <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ident from unknown

Sheldon....

+AHw-Inetd is the Internet Super-Server, which is used to pass off
incoming
+AHw-connections to appropriate programs.  The message you're seeing is
from
+AHw-inetd, because you start it with the -l (log) option.
+AHw-
+AHw-The identd utility is a program which can have incoming connections
+AHw-passed to it by inetd.

This newbie thanks you for the above brief overview of these few (of
many) networking +ACI-components. Are you aware of any documents, web
pages etc. that provide a complete but brief outline ( I'm thinking
+ACI-flowchart+ACI-. eg) of all the possible components of networking as it
pertains to Freebsd? I ask because I would like to get a conceptual
idea of +ACo-all+ACo- that is involved and study up on each component from
the top down.

How about something similar regarding the various +ACI-conf+ACI- scripts?
e.g.

init---+AD4-inittab---+AD4-/etc/defaults/rc.conf--+AD4-/etc/rc.conf etc etc

TIA....duke