Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:27:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keyboard Not Responding With X startup

I had a similar occasion with 2.2.7-R
on a slow 486.

I addressed it to some type of racing condition, when X
gets the virtual console before getty gets it (or something like that).

I ended up editing the file /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d
putting "sleep 7" there:

#!/bin/sh

if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
        echo -n ' xdm';      (sleep 7;  /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm )&
fi

This worked for me.

Hope, this help,

Igor