Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 20:02:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        yury@nest.bistbn.com (Yuri Krichevsky)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not ?

> 	Maybe it will be useful to put somewhere in one place all patches,
>	drivers that for some reasons can't be included in FreeBSD
>	distribution, but is the only solution for some kind of problems ?
> 	Maybe it will be good place for alpha and beta versions of drivers
>	too.  Or even add to distribution 'last resort' installation floppy
>	with all this drivers and workarounds included in kernel.

We could call it "the patchkit".

Heh.

I guess I could dust off my old "patchkit" code.  8-) 8-).

I think a better way to handle this would be a "repackaged cvs tree";
the PAO people would benefit from this, as would anyone else making
local patches.

The main idea is that a cvsup should pull the FreeBSD source tree
down not into a duplicate of the FreeBSD source tree, but rather
into a vendor branch.

This would let anyone who wanted to use the code as a base for
something make their own modifications, and actually keep them in
their local source tree, with the history intact.

It would also help knit various projects closer together, since you
could cvsup another projects sources (for instance, bind) into the
FreeBSD source tree -- as a vendor branch.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.