Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 09:38:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rmail and brain-dead mail systems .. patch enclosed

As Peter Wemm wrote:

> >As you can see, there's 34 times "joerg_wunsch" in the envelope
> >address.  Pretty much useless, don't you think?
>
> >And that's with the stock rmail(1), of course. :)
>
> Ahh, yes.. but those 34 joerg_wunsch addresses were probably from
> cvs-committers, ...

No, for example the message i'm replying to does also contain such a
"joerg_wunsch" in the From_ line:

~From joerg_wunsch Sat Sep 23 06:20:53 1995
~To: freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
~Date: 23 Sep 1995 08:10:02 +0800
~From: peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
[...]
~Sender: owner-current@FreeBSD.ORG

The only hint to the actual sender is the Sender: header.  As the
first Receveived header shows, the messages wasn't even directed to
joerg_wunsch, but to freebsd-current@uriah.heep.sax.de instead.

The From_ line (also refered to as the "Unix From line") is not part
of RFC822.  In particular, UUCP mailers tend to trash this line, so
it's entirely useless.  Sendmail immediately strips it from each
incoming message and discards it.  (Look into the mail queue, you'll
find a header and a data file for each queue entry, and the header
file does not include this line.)

Since the "envelope" addresses are often bogus, they should IMHO not
be used.  Instead, RFC822 says:

     4.4.4.  AUTOMATIC USE OF FROM / SENDER / REPLY-TO

        For systems which automatically  generate  address  lists  for
        replies to messages, the following recommendations are made:

            o   The "Sender" field mailbox should be sent  notices  of
                any  problems in transport or delivery of the original
                messages.  If there is no  "Sender"  field,  then  the
                "From" field mailbox should be used.

            o   The  "Sender"  field  mailbox  should  NEVER  be  used
                automatically, in a recipient's reply message.

            o   If the "Reply-To" field exists, then the reply  should
                go to the addresses indicated in that field and not to
                the address(es) indicated in the "From" field.

            o   If there is a "From" field, but no  "Reply-To"  field,
                the  reply should be sent to the address(es) indicated
                in the "From" field.

        Sometimes, a recipient may actually wish to  communicate  with
        the  person  that  initiated  the  message  transfer.  In such
        cases, it is reasonable to use the "Sender" address.

I think, sendmail does it this way.

vacation(1) is the last program i know that does not comply to RFC822.
It should probably be rewritten to do a better job.  I cannot use it
in its current form, and last time i've been using it, i've put a Perl
wrapper around that generated the beloved From_ line out of the RFC822
headers...

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/