Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:51:55 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd not letting me in from dhcp

On 11-Jun-2000, David Daugherty wrote:
> Ok, the ssh daemon isn't being started in rc.local or inetd.conf. Where
> can I add this flag. I'm not sure where ssh starts from.

If you installed sshd from ports on a 2.x or 3.x box, look for its
startup file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.

If you're working on a 4.0 box, sshd is launched based on parameters you
place in /etc/rc.conf (use the examples found in /etc/defaults/rc.conf to
assist you in proper syntax).

You do not, however, want to launch sshd with the -d parameter in your
startup scripts.  From the manpage:

      -d     Debug mode.  The server sends verbose debug  output
              to  the  system log, and does not put itself in the
              background.  The server also will not fork and will
              only  process  one connection.  This option is only
              intended for debugging for the server.

sshd -d is only intended for use when you're actively monitoring the
daemon in an interactive manner.

If running a client with "ssh -v" is not an option, perhaps you'll have
some luck tweaking the syslogging parameters on sshd in an attempt to
extract more detailed information out of the daemon.  Try adjusting the
LogLevel value in your sshd_config file as per the manpage:

  LogLevel
     Gives the verbosity level that is used when logging messages from
     sshd. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE
     and DEBUG.  The default is INFO.  Logging with level DEBUG vio-
     lates the privacy of users and is not recommended.

On a 4.0 box, this file will be in /etc/ssh/