Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:08:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a second NCR 810 controller

Craig Shaver writes:

 > > In article <199609161051.MAA11794@iaehv.IAEhv.nl> you wrote:
 > >
 > > : Hi,
 > >
 > >  Gday!
 > >
 > > : What do I need to do to add a second NCR 810 controller to a 2.1.5 system?
 > >
 > >  Just chuck it in.  Both cards can be set to INT A, since the interupts
 > >  are unique for each PCI slot.
 > >

 > Do you need to rebuild the kernel?  In my kernel I added a line for the
 > 2nd NCR controller:
 >
 > controller      ncr0
 > controller      ncr1
 >
 > And then I rebuilt the kernel.  Is this an unnecessary step?

Yes, it is unneccesary, but, well, it does no harm :)

In fact you may expect that each PCI device driver
can be used for a (near) arbitrary number of cards.
The reason for multiple device entries in the config
file is usually, that ISA cards need very specific
attach addresses, and if you have multiple cards, then
each individual one has to be made known to the kernel.

PCI cards are auto-configured by the PCI BIOS, and the
drivers use whatever the PCI BIOS choose for the card's
registers and memory regions.

Regards, STefan