Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:24:02 +0200
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+fbsdm@pelleg.org>
To:        rafege@mail.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WiFi Access Point Discovery Tools ?

rafege@mail.com (Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D.) writes:

> !Have you tried
> !
> !wicontrol wi0 -l
>
> Sorry about the earlier note -- the coffee hadn't kicked in yet...
>
> wicontrol wi0 -l
>
> for either card reports "0 stations"
> with one powered & sitting less than 4 meters away.
> [...]
> So, what's up with access point discovery in 5.3-R ?

It definitely works for me, using either a builtin mini-PCI (intel card
using ipw) or PCCARD (lucent or US-robotics cards using wi). Further, I
hardly ever need to do that manually since dhclient usually just DTRT for
me (see the archives of this list for the terms: "media ssid dhclient.conf"
once you get to this point). I've had it work on campus, at home, various
coffeeshops, and at airports, including one where the DHCP servers gave you
bad IP and DNS information and you had to manually configure things just to
be able to see the auto-redirected web login page. But in all cases it
found the access point alright, sometimes even picking up and preferring
one of my neighbors', who seems to have installed a super-duper megawatt
fry-a-lot antenna for his.

--

  Dan Pelleg