Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:58:58 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        aw1@stade.co.uk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pipeline behaviour - changed?

> Hi.
>
> I recently had a problem installing the latest netscape communicator
> port - the session just sat there, with 'yes' chewing up processor time.
>
> The port makefile contains this:
>
>         cd ${WRKSRC} && yes "" | \
> 	    LC_TIME=C MOZILLA_HOME="${NDIR}" ./ns-install
>
> This sort of construct:
>
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	yes | head -2
>
> No longer exits when the head finishes. Anybody else seeing this sort
> of thing with a current 3.0-CURRENT? If so, we might be in for a lot of
> complaints when people start installing netscape.

word:~/work/pupdate>yes | head -2
word:~/work/pupdate>ps ax |grep yes
word:~/work/pupdate>uname -a
FreeBSD word.smith.net.au 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Aug 18 13:41:54 GMT 1998     root@dingo.cdrom.com:/local0/src/sys/compile/DINGO  i386

That's a bit stale, but I don't recall anything that might have affected
that changing just lately.  How -current are you?