Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:39:43 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and

Terry Lambert wrote:

> There are two rules for an unarmed martial artist, when someone comes
> at them with a knife, and they can't avoid the situation:

 0)	Run as fast as you can.

> 1)      Expect to be cut.
> 2)      Expect to kill the other person.

I had heard number 1 but not number 2.

 3)	don't stay around to see if they are dead or not, and above all
don't call the police.

On this cases the Martial Artist usually gets sued for damages.

> I definitely agree that knives are more dangerous that guns; I
> have seen a Tai Chi Chu'an swordsman at work.  Even with a
> practice sword, he was able to defeat 6 well trained unarmed
> combatants.  With a real sword, I suspect he could hold off 12,
> until all 12 were dead.

Guns are more dangerous. In traditional Martial Arts there are no
techniques against guns. The personal defense techniques showed
sometimes on exhibitions correspond to adaptations of anti-knife
tecniques.

	Pedro.