Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:25:28 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Shixin YU <iku317@yahoo.com>, jacks@sage-american.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to enable Network?

On Sunday 13 January 2002 11:03, Shixin YU wrote:
> In fact,the network card is NE2000,and the situation
> occured due to that I pressed ctrl-alt-delet keys when
> the FreeBSD upgrade  is in progress,(The habit of
> pressing
> ctrl-alt-delete is due to the long time use of
> MS-windows,you konw,MS-Windows halts very often! )

If you feel that the incomplete upgrade caused the problem,
the solution is (most likely) to do the upgrade again, and
complete it this time.
It is very possible that some part of you system is out of sync
with another part because the upgrade was only partially
completed. It happens a lot.

> and the output of "ifconfig -a "is as the following:
> lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
> 1500
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu
> 16384
> 	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> 	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
> 	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
> faith0: flags=8041<UP,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> 	inet 143.129.131.7 netmask 0xffffff00
> 	inet6 fe80::a09f:59e1:68e7:baa%faith0 prefixlen 64
> scopeid 0x5

Either you don't have the ed driver configured into the kernel, or
the incomplete upgrade is causing it not to be detected, or something
is wrong with the card.
Redo the upgrade first and see if that fixes it.
Since you were trying to upgrade over the 'net, you may have to either
reinstall or buy a CD in order to get it working again.
If you did the cvsup method for upgrading, you should be able to start
over at the "make buildworld" step and get it working again.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services