Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2016 16:48:54 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Randy Westlund <rwestlun@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITH_INSTALL_AS_USER broken?

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 07:57:04AM -0700, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 8/24/2016 12:55 AM, Randy Westlund wrote:
> > Is WITH_INSTALL_AS_USER supposed to work, or is it known to be broken?
> >=20
> > I'm cross compiling -current (r304727) for arm, and trying to install w=
orld as
> > a user.  Install is trying to set the schg file flag on some libraries,=
 which
> > is failing because I'm not root.
> >=20
>=20
> Has this ever worked?  I recently changed stuff here but I would think
> that it wouldn't work before my changes too.

WITH_INSTALL_AS_USER never worked except in select individual directories.
Anything complicated caused it to break and it definitely never worked
for installworld.  For installworld you want NO_ROOT.

NO_ROOT support should be migrated to share/mk/* rather than overriding
things in Makefile.inc1 and WITH_INSTALL_AS_USER should be removed or
made into a synonym for NO_ROOT.

-- Brooks

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz--