Date:      Sat, 04 May 1996 14:44:12 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        thorinn@diku.dk
Subject:   DCF77 + xntpd + freebsd = WOW!

(thorinn: please forward to any interested parties in the NTP club)

DCF77 is a 77.5 Khz radio-xmitter close to Frankfurt in Germany, which
is probably a little over a thousand kilometers from where I live.

I have a receiver for this station hooked up via a serial port to my
P5/133 box running FreeBSD-current, I use the "siointrts" interrupt
entry for this port to provide the precise timestamp xntpd needs.

I have saved the peerstats and loopstats files since some time last
november, and now I finally got around to run some stats on them.

Here is the result:

	Clock-offset less than +/- 5ms:		97.8623 %
	Clock-offset less than +/- 2ms:		94.5631 %
	Clock-offset less than +/- 1ms:		80.0504 %
	Clock-offset less than +/- 500us:	65.6242 %

The histogram of these offsets is a near-perfect bell-curve...

Here then is the punchline: That receiver cost me something like 40 DMK
via mail-order from "Konrad Electronic".  Who said precise time-keeping
had to be expensive ?  :-)

Poul-Henning Kamp