Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 00:00:15 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, toasty@home.dragondata.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 11:17:09PM +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 21:48:54 +0000 (GMT), Terry Lambert
> <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:
>
> >> Why is it a shame to lose users who don't pay anything for the
> >> software in the first place?
> >
> >Because of the economics of porting decisions made by commercial
> >software companies, for one.
>
> But if they won't pay anything for the OS how much will they pay for
> some app ported by a commercial vendor?

You seem to be missing the point. I run FreeBSD simply because it's
the best operating system for my needs! Price is really not that
relevant - if FreeBSD costs as much as NT workstation, I'd almost
certainly buy it anyways! The fact that I haven't paid for the product
doesn't mean I'm unwilling to pay for other commercial apps..

I evaluate potential products based on what return I get for my
investment. In FreeBSD's case, it's a win-win situation since my
return is large, and I have to invest very little.

<soapbox on>
In fact, I would argue that the FreeBSD "model" is in many ways the
ideal situation for developers, since if the OS doesn't cost anything
there is no huge company behind it. The sole purpose of FreeBSD is
to produce a solid operating system, and support the users. When I
write an app for FreeBSD, there's no fear of "FreeBSD Inc" deciding
that I represent a large enough section of the market that they will
buy me up/out and essentially become my competition. That's the
situation when you write for Windows. No thank you. FreeBSD, and Linux
for that matter, might not be huge forces now in the commercial software
market, but I'm confident that over time more and more developers will
become frustrated with the M$ way of doing business, and "retreat" to the
free operating system world. At its current rate of progress, FreeBSD
will be in fine shape indeed to provide a safe haven to those devlopers.
It's really a pitty that people associate cost and "value" when it comes
to operating system, since it's really the exact thing you don't want
as a developer. FreeBSD is truly freedom from the devlopment point of
view.
<soapbox off>

Thanks for tuning in,
-Mark		;-)

> John

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU