Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 05:09:34 -0700
From:      Faried Nawaz <fn@pain.csrv.uidaho.edu>
To:        Nik Clayton <Nik.Clayton@brunel.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V1 #68

Nik Clayton wrote...

   Can it be done? My 2.0R yp(4) manual page says that server code hasn't
   been written yet. I was wondering if it was working for .0.5?

yes, it can be done.

at the very least you need to

	edit /etc/sysconfig and set a domainname on all the servers/clients
	type 'domainname your_domain_name' or reboot the machines
	run ypserv on the servers
	run yppasswdd on the main nis server (if you need to)
	run ypbind on the clients (your server(s) may be clients too)
	edit /etc/sysconfig and set
		nis_clientflags="-s"
		yppasswddflags="-m /var/yp/master.passwd -s -f"(if you need to)
	on the server(s) cd to /var/yp and
		edit the Makefile, change what you need
		create a ypservers file which lists all the nis servers
		place the master.passwd file in /var/yp (if you need to)
		run `make'

i may be wrong on the ordering of the above actions.  i remember someone
talking about a problem pushing out maps to slave servers, but i can't
remember the fix.

you can recompile ypserv to use the tcp_wrappers library if you have libwrap.a
and tcpd.h lying around.  you'll have libwrap.a installed in /usr/local/lib
if you compiled the tcp_wrappers port.  the file `tcpd.h' doesn't get installed
by default (maybe the port should do that?); you need to unpack the sources to
get it.

cd to /usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/ypserv and edit the Makefile.  add

CFLAGS+=-I/usr/local/include  (or wherever tcpd.h is for you)
LDADD+=	-L/usr/local/lib -lwrap  (or wherever libwrap.a is for you)

and change  -DTCP_WRAPPER=0 to =1

and do 'make obj depend all install clean'.  you'll want to add an entry
to /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} for ypserv.

i'm currently running nis with the md5 passwords between two -current machines.

i'll try to finish the nis handbook documentation this weekend.

faried, who's on questions-digest.