Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 21:29:48 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.Org (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

> [CC: set to -current, we are all on there or had better be!!!]

Cool... (answers a question I had forgotten to ask).

> Do you know about the BSD supplied bdes(1) command.  I see no need to
> duplicate that functionality with a des(1).

Yeah. I just found that. Bang goes des(1)...

> Libdes was originaly part of Kerberos on the 4.4 tape and that is why
> it probably ended up in eBones where it did.  I can see that libdes can
> be used by much more than eBones, so it would be okay with me to bring
> in this new libdes into src/secure and place the old one in the Attic.

Great!

> I am not sure of the legal stance of saying ``This program is free software;
> you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either:'' and
> then having one of them be the GPL which says:

[GPV legalese deleted]

> Now if Eric Young has provided a copy of this without mention of the GPL
> any place in it GREAT!!!  And thank him for stomping out one copy of the
> GPV.

Already done...

> > > Also does this code come with eBones?  Should this could be maintained
> > > on a vendor branch?
> >
> > No. It was built to be US-DES compliant, but I got it as a separate
> > library including other bits and pieces (some of which may get you guys in
> > trouble like RSA) of crypto code. Geoff Rehmet put it into eBones as at
> > that time that was the only code which used it.
>
> Please be very carefull on pulling bits and pieces from packages, legalize
> can come back to haunt us.

Eric allows any kind of modification, as long as his name is written up.
He also mentions the type of sh*t you people could get into with some of
his code, so what I am doing is I think for the best.

> A)  Is Eric Young maintaining this code and
> B)  Do you think he will ever release a newer version of it.

A) Yes
B) Yes

> If either A or B is true we should probably do it on a vendor branch.

OK. I would like to drive, but could you sit in the passenger seat?
Just till I get the rules of the road totally right...

> I see your copyright below, that looks like the README I just looked at
> with the first 10 or so lines trimmed off of it.  As I state above unless
> the GPL has been removed from all parts of him distribution IMHO, but not
> legally expert opinion, it is still GPL'ed code.

Nope. You did not read far enough...

[snip snip]
> > The license and distribution terms for any publically available version or
> > derivative of this code cannot be changed.  i.e. this code cannot simply be
> > copied and put under another distrubution license
> > [including the GNU Public License.] <---------------************!!!!!
> >
> > The reason behind this being stated in this direct manner is past
> > experience in code simply being copied and the attribution removed
> > from it and then being distributed as part of other packages. This
> > implementation was a non-trivial and unpaid effort.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200