Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:28:33 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@g-it.ca>
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Subject:   Questionable merits of inetd replacements

[subject change]

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:27:49PM -0600, Scott Gerhardt wrote:
> Better Yet, what about using xinetd which is much more configurable and
> robust.  I am surprised that FreeBSD's default installation still uses inetd
> instead of xinetd.

FreeBSD's inetd offers features which are not present in xinetd, support
for IPSEC policy settings being one of them.  I fail to see how using
xinetd would be an improvement -- pardon my ignorance if there are features
in xinetd which you feel would somehow benefit the user base enough to
justify a change.

If inetd is not suitable for your needs, consider installing the xinetd port,
or integrating it into your own OS engineering build.

BMS