Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:13:44 +0400
From:      Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        mbsd <mbsd@isgroup.com.ua>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/textproc/stardict3

Matthias Apitz wrote on 17.06.2012 17:04:
> El día Sunday, June 17, 2012 a las 11:03:50AM +0400, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov escribió:
>
>> While I didn't know anything about how to solve this particular
>> breakage, I can just suggest you to look at textproc/goldendict instead.
>> It's an fully stardict dictionaries compatible. Plus it can check
>> urbandictionary, wikipedia and other (custom) online resources for a
>> word definition. I migrated to it when it only had landed to the ports
>> tree (thanks bsam@!) because stardict is dead upstream for a long time.
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I've checked and ported this already some months
> ago, but I can't manage some things to work, maybe because I'm just to
> much thinking in how it does stardict and the things I'm used to use are
> just not there, for example: if I have a word after scan in the popup
> window, how do I get this into the main window?
>
>> PS. I know about stardict fork, but never checked it.
>
> What is this? Is it in our ports tree?
> Thanks
>
> 	matthias

Hi Matthias,

as I said earlier, I didn't using stardict for a long time now so I
can't help with questions like this. All I remember, that stardict was
uhmm... old (there was word 'crap' originally). To be honest, I doesn't
even using goldendict too often - translate.google.com (and thousands of
desktop widgets/browser plugins for it) is enough to me in most times.
Goldendict is good looking, more functional, and (most important) it's
alive. Yes, goldendict is Qt-based, but it didn't bring and KDE
components if I understand it right.

As for stardict fork question.. You may just look at it old offpage
here: http://stardict.sourceforge.net/

There was some copyright issue and the project was closed. Then some
people taked the sources and released their own stardict. I see there
(http://www.stardict.org/) that they did just one minor release since
2007. And it still has that ugly UI. So, I believe it's more dead than
alive.

--
Regards,
Ruslan