Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 11:10:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        laszlo vagner <vagner@mutsgo.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp permissions

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, laszlo vagner wrote:

> I still cant figure out for the life of me how to make an append only
> directory for the ftp directory.
>
> What is a anonymous ftp users username?

`ftp'

> what is his group?

Whatever you prefer.  I have him in group `nogroup'.

> what i need i think is
>
> DrwxrTxrTx    /incoming
>
> how do i do this?

It depends on how much you want done in /incoming.  If you don't care
(very very bad), set mode 1777 and ownership ftp/nogroup or whomever you
want to administer the directory.  You can lock out deletins/moves/etc. by
setting to moe 1766 and own it yourself but no own by ftp.

/incoming directories are dangerous, make sure you know what you are
getting into.