Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:30:01 GMT
From:      Florian Jung <florian.a.jung@web.de>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/173722: XHCI driver bug after suspend to ram (ACPI S3 mode)

The following reply was made to PR usb/173722; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Florian Jung <florian.a.jung@web.de>
To: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc: freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:21:47 +0100

 Am 19.11.2012 19:21, schrieb Hans Petter Selasky:
 > On Monday 19 November 2012 16:36:45 Florian Jung wrote:
 >>> Number:         173722
 >>> Category:       usb
 >>> Synopsis:       XHCI driver bug after suspend to ram (ACPI S3 mode)
 >>> Confidential:   no
 >>> Severity:       non-critical
 >>> Environment:
 >> FreeBSD beastie 9.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Jun 12
 >> 02:52:29 UTC 2012
 >> root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

 >> After entering and waking up from suspend to ram aka ACPI S3 state, the
 >> dmesg get flooded with "xhci_interrupt: host controller halted", and my
 >> USB3.0 device stops working.
 >>
 >> (It is a external hard disk drive, and the device node just vanished and
 >> won't re-appear)
 >>
 >> My USB2.0 and 1.x devices however do still work.
 >>
 >> It seems that i can provoke the generation of these "xhci_interrupt: host
 >> controller halted" messages by typing on my USB-2.0-Keyboard or by moving
 >> my USB-2.0-Mouse.
 >>
 >>> How-To-Repeat:
 >> - Start up FreeBSD
 >> - Plug in USB3.0 Harddisk
 >> - It will work.
 >> - sudo acpiconf -S 3
 >> - re-awake the computer
 >> - ls /dev/ tells you that the harddisk is gone
 >> - dmesg tells you the "xhci_interrupt: host controller halted" messages.
 >> - replug the harddisk
 >> - it still does not work.
 >>

 > If you unplug the harddisk before the suspend, does it work afterwards then?
 >
 > --HPS

 No, that causes the same problem.
 I don't even need to attach it: boot freebsd, enter acpi s3, wake up,
 and then plug in the disk leads to the same problem.

 i have found out that compiling XHCI has loadable module, and unloading
 it before suspend and re-loading it afterwards solves the problem.

 the "xhci_interrupt: host controller halted"-messages don't appear, and
 i can use my harddisk afterwards.

 looks like xhci is failing to reinitalize properly after suspend?

 greetings,
 flo