Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 05:56:07 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Antonio <zagarna@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: incorrect memory amount detected at boot

Thus spake Antonio <zagarna@yahoo.com>:
> After upgrading FreeBSD 4.6 stable on an old compaq proliant it's
> reading the wrong memory amount from the BIOS at boot time like so:
>
> BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
> Console: internal video/keyboard
> BIOS drive A: is disk0
> BIOS drive B: is disk1
> BIOS 638kB/15360kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
>
> just before booting the kernel. the server has 256MB of ram installed.

First of all, that number is just from the loader, telling you
what the BIOS told it.  You have an older BIOS that will only
report 16 MB.  I'm assuming you really mean that only 16 MB of
memory is actually available to the kernel; otherwise, there is no
problem.

FreeBSD is trusting your BIOS.  You can force the OS to use more
by specifying the MAXMEM option in your kernel config or setting
the sysctl hw.maxmem in the loader.  See LINT for details.

AFAIK, this has always been the behavior for older BIOSes that
report 16 MB of RAM.  Are you saying that all the memory was
detected before?