Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 19:06:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jack Freelander <jack@rabbit.eng.miami.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Jef <jam@winona.cs.miami.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -> 3.1

> > FreeBSD 3.0-Release has the tendency to reboot itself, as I mentioned
> > before.  Others have the same problem.  has this been fixed in 3.1?
>
> Can you be more specific?
>
> I'm not aware of any spontaneous reboots in 3.x releases.

How can I explain spontaneous reboots?  They just happen, and FreeBSD
leaves no record of why.  I wrote to questions@FreeBSD.org some time ago,
and several other people replied that they were having the same problem.
I recently found out that hurricane.cs.miami.edu, another FreeBSD machine,
is having a similar problem.  What gives?

Not to be rude, but the upgrade utility sucks.  It shouldn't allow you to
even attempt an upgrade when it knows (and now so do I) that running
/stand/sysinstall off the hard disk, even in single user mode, causes a
ton of problems.

Please let me know what kinds of bug fixes were made in going from 3.0
to 3.1.  I have read the release notes and see that many new drivers are
supported -- that wasn't the trouble with rabbit.  I would be more
interested to know what kinds of reported problems were fixed.

How, if at all, can I find out why FreeBSD decides to reboot itself (in
case the problem doesn't go away)?

-jack