Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:34:17 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        brian@FreeBSD.org.uk (Brian Somers)
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, garyj@muc.de, pherman@element-5.de, Dirk.Nerling@pdv.de, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can somebody explain me the followings dial / never disconnects?

From the keyboard of Brian Somers:

> > Anyway, in i4b still all packets reset the idle timer whereas this must
> > be changed to a behaviour that only IP packets reset the idle timer.
>
> I don't think this is right.  IMHO i4b should implement the idle timer
> as it currently does and should not understand ppp frames.  If
> there's a ppp layer running on top of the i4b device, that's where
> the idle timer that ignores ECHO requests (or whatever) should be.

Ok, i was unclear. Currently, every packet resets i4b's idle timer, so
as long as there are echo requests, it will never timeout and so the
line will stay open forever.

What i think of is a sort of callback from isp (the "physical device")
to sppp (the PPP machine), where sppp is able to say "this is a packet
which carries data (IP packets), please reset the idle timer" or "this
is a packet which is not relevant to the idle timer (LCP Echo etc.),
please do not reset the idle timer".

This way i4b knows nothing about packet contents, the knowledge goes
into sppp (which should know all about PPP) but they both can communicate
about the content of a packet with regard to resetting the idle timeout
mechanism.

Does this sound better ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77