Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:41:44 +0000
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        dougb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On 19/01/12 11:18, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 23:07, vermaden wrote:
>> Lets talk about Ports maintainers for a while, ftp/vsftpd maintainer
>> for example, one of the options of this port is to provide a RC script
>> so one will be able to start this FTP server with /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>> script, but ... ITS NOT ENABLED BY DEFAULT, wtf people?
> I don't see any reason why it should be an option at all, never mind off
> by default. Perhaps the maintainer can elaborate on his reasoning?
>

> Doug

Hi,

not sure where this thread started as searching my mail archives yielded
nothing apart from this excerpt.

If this is an attack on FreeBSD as the title suggests; there are lots of
polls taken in the decision making process over where to go and what to
do.... I am not really qualified to give an in-depth account on things
as have only been using FreeBSD for about 3+ years now but the one thing
I can say is that the lifecycle and longevity is waaaay more then any
other OS I've had experience with.

I mean as an example - I built a home 'mainframe' for myself round 3
years ago and at the same time I built Fedora 11 on PPC as a web server
on my old Apple G4. Well until recently 8.x was the current version
while a recent install of Fedora on my laptop gave me version 15 which
is soon to be superseeded by version 16. I had Ubuntu previously of
which's lifecycle lasts for round 3 months after that it's defunct
pretty much.

Additionally try dist-upgrading any Linux and see what happens. Almost
the entire system gets wiped and config files in /etc get reset to the
new package defaults.

Focus wise there is so much inconsistancy and incoherence with Linux
that one distro uses ALSA then in the next release switches to Pulse
audio which is horrible as it gives you no or limited control over the
sound card. init.d. scripts get tied into service system management and
then with very limited documentation no one knows what's going on.

Regarding focus I beleive that FreeBSD is a viable alternative to Linux
as ever package (almost) is in the ports repo and it's my personal
opinion that the only thing that let's FreeBSD down is the hardware
support and some multimedia support otherwise I would have switched to
using FBSD on my notebooks and desktops long ago. For servers however,
it is the only option in my opinion as it will do everything that Linux
can but be increadibly stable and have small footprint to boot.
Additionally version and package upgrades as mentioned are increadibly
easy and painless.

The following of FreeBSD may not be very large in most areas which let's
it down as in my understanding if one is not in the North Americas
FreeBSD is seldom used especially on a professional level. I mean as an
out of work UNIX engineer for almost a year now, while telling
recruiters or companies that 'I'm a UNIX engineer' the reply is
generally 'oh ok so you're a Linux engineer'... erm ????

Actually as a big fan of Solaris as well, the reason I'm not mentioning
it is because natively there is no package support for it and everything
must come from 3rd party managed repositories such as OpenCSW or
Blastwave. To turn it into a 'Linux' beater - which FBSD does natively
anyway and compiles directly to the CPU architecture further
streamlining things.

Against corporate OS's like OSX and Windows, there is no comparison as
both treat the users like idiots but then again most of 'those'
operating systems users don't actually understand much about what
they're doing hence the layer of abstraction.

But it is really easy to critisize; to get round those critisisims is
the hard part. Or to understand a viable work around or working
solution. Just as it is with any body! People can attack each other and
say that another person is useless or hasn't got a clue but the issue is
how to better that person or how that person will better themselves
(which is a position I fall into currently with companies telling me
that I don't have enough experience or other faults etc....). I guess
here what I'm trying to say is don't moan and help by integrating and
working on a fix or a solution. Moaning and winging takes time and
energy and works in a negative way while being pro-active within the
project can have a significant positive affect. - like the other day
when I got rushed to hospital by ambulance, I got sent home and directly
as I was (actually being carried) through the door started working on my
shell scripting abilites.

Anyway, just my 2cents worth.

Regards,

Kaya