Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2012 22:39:07 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphics/png does not build with lang/gcc

On 3/7/12, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:
> on 07/03/2012 14:11 b. f. said the following:
>> you can just
>> install lang/gcc or lang/gcc46 and set USE_GCC=4.6 in your build
>> environment, an included Makefile, or on the command line
>
> BTW, our traditional taxonomy seems to be: "USE_XXX" is for stuff that ports
> really require, "WITH_XXX" is for user preferences.
> So it might make sense to create a WITH_GCC knob specifically for the use
> that you
> suggested above.

Yes, that is a reasonable suggestion, not only for lang/gcc*, but also
for a few other compilers.  But I think that before such a
user-configurable knob can be introduced, with an implied promise of
support for it, several outstanding problems with the widespread use
of such a knob need to be addressed -- for example, the (still)
pending fixes to USE_BINUTILS, changes to the compiler configurations
(to fix things like PIE and stack protection), changes to the use of
libtool, and introduction of periodic checks to find and fix ports
that don't respect the toolchain variables.

b.