Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:11:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      bsd@picard.mandrakesoft.de
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc optimizer in -current system ...

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    I tend not to like the higher optimization levels because they cause
>    the compiler to attempt to turn static functions into inlines and,
>    in my opinion, it doesn't do a very good job of selecting which functions
>    to convert.  The result is that I see bloated binaries with no
>    performance gain to show for it.
>
>    EGCS's -Os is my favorite.

Have you tried specifying -O6 and -Os (With -Os following -O6 because we
want it to override the values set by -O6)?
I haven't tried it for a while, but at least in an older egcs snapshot
(somewhere between 1.1.2 and gcc 2.95), it worked (optimize as much as
possible, but value size over speed).

LLaP
bero