Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:28:25 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        Adriaan Rossouw <adriaanr@abraxas365.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: G450 + 3D on X 4.0.2

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 11:46:59AM -0600, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 11:24:47AM +0200, Adriaan Rossouw wrote:
>
> > I was just wondering if hardware 3d works on XF4.0.2 (compiled with
> > the matrox supplied proprietery drivers, and running perfectly) works
> > on FreeBSD.
> >
> > It's not really a feature i *need* , just be nice to be able to play
> > with blender and the like.
>
> You will have to build the 3D bits yourself.  Unfortunately, I do not
> think that anyone is keeping up with the FreeBSD DRI and specifically
> the mga module in XF4.0.2 from a development standpoint so there is a
> bit of hacking involved.  I have it working (sort of) with a Matrox G400
> on my home system.  The speed is quite good but it will make my system
> wedge periodically, I would say maybe once out of every 3-4 times I
> launch a 3D app.  I have not tried blender however.  You do _not_ want
> to enable this on a production machine.  When my system locks up with
> a 3D app I go to my wife's computer and telnet into my FreeBSD box and
> kill the 3D app if I can or reboot if necessary.  I have had it also
> kill the networking as well which meant I had to hit the reset button
> which of course can lead to file system damage.
>
> Let me know if you still want to pursue this and I will cobble together
> some instructions.  Actually, most of what you need to do is posted in
> the mail archives.

FYI, I did a write-up of the postings concerning DRI with G400 on
http://wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl/freebsd/hwaccel.html , and I'm working to add
instructions for installing linux games. Chop off hwaccel.html from
mentioned url to see the pages in construction; please note they are
not completed yet.

Karel.