Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:01:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on i386 memory model

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Marius Bendiksen wrote:

> >Why don't you implement it and find out?
>
> (1) I lack the required knowledge of BSD internals
> (2) I doubt I have sufficient mastery of C to rewrite libc
> (3) If the effort is going to be wasted (ie. if noone will commit it),
> there's no point in doing so.
>
> Correct at least two of the above, and I'll give it my best shot, and get
> back to you. I assume it would be -quite- a lot of work?

The syscall entry into the kernel is done via a macro afaik, redefine it,
and code the alternate entry into the kernel.

If you wanted a libc that you could "move" between machines..., you could
recode the libc bootstrap to sysctl the processor model number and provide
a jump point to either entry point.

However, you then slow down both entry methods by the cost of an
additional jump/return and you cause the instruction cache to be less
effective as you jump execution around in memory.

Another idea is 2 lib directories, one optimized for <= 486 and the other
optimized for > 486, then you double the amount of space you need for
shared libs...

Not worth the cycles unless you were doing long term modeling, and then,
as asked before, why use a 486?

It could be made into a Makeworld option perhaps?

-Alfred