Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:33:21 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No cable modems??

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:34:36AM -0500, Donald J . Maddox wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow this.  Why would I be likely to be a
> spammer just because I use a cable modem?

The first case is the actual subscriber who can push out huge amounts
of spam down their fairly wide (typically at least 120Kb) pipe before
their provider axes them, if they get reported, for violating the
AUP.

The other big problem is the poorly configured, default install of
Linux, old FreeBSD, etc. sitting on the net 24/7 offering wide open
relaying. A spammer finds them and *pow*.

> Not sure what
> you mean about funneling, either.  All my mail does go through
> my ISPs mail gateway.

In the .mc file, you use your ISP's mail servers as a 'smart host' or
the like?

> Apparently they don't rewrite my headers
> and I don't masquerade.  Are you saying that I should?

They should not be rewriting headers but simply appending their
own. Have a look at mine. Not cable, but same kinda thing.