Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:05:21 +1300
From:      David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
To:        heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing Device Drivers

At 13:02 17/12/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Does anyone have any good tips to get started / HowTo's, or some simple
>examples
>that will give me knowledge like the PC Speaker or something simple like
>that?

This is turning into a FAQ, but don't worry about it. The usual answer is
to take one of the existing drivers and work out what it does. There's also
a script for making shell drivers under /usr/share/examples/drivers. As for
things like "how does DMA work?", "what exactly is an interrupt and what do
I do with it?" or "what's the story with memory ranges and devices then?"
then I'm afraid I can't help you there.

In fact (to -hackers) this strikes me as one of the more fundamental
problems of free software: I would go and write/fix some device drivers
(for example the unknown phy in fxp that bothers me so much), except I
can't really get a handle on how you're supposed to start on these things.
Comments? URL's for IRQ101? Perhaps I should just stop whingeing and go
hack with it to see what happens? (probably best).

>Jamie

Dave