Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:15:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] extraneous data discarded

A long time ago, Thu, 16 Nov 1995 to be precise, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote,

> i got a new new message in the logs today:
>
>        sd1(ncr0:1:0): extraneous data discarded.
>        sd1(ncr0:1:0): extraneous data discarded.
>
> this occurred during a /sbin/dump run.   what does it mean?  should i be
> alarmed?  what can i do about it?

I'm getting the same message, in the same situation (running 'dump',
courtesy of amanda). Searching the mailing list archives, I don't
see any followup to this message.

I'm assuming this is a fairly benign error, but it'd be nice to know
whether I should be worrying or not.

I'd include a copy of the boot probe for my disks, but I can't, because
the uptime on this box is so long that the last boot probe has rolled out
of /var/log/messages* B-)

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                  Blueberry New Media                ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/     1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk       London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[  Somedays, I wonder why I even bother chewing through the straps.  ]ENTP