Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:04:05 -0500
From:      "Rafi Lurman" <rlurman@adelphia.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Stuck in single user mode

Hi, I just installed FreeBSD 4.9 for the first time. After the install I =
did not shut down properly and now whenever it boots I get the =
following:
Automatic boot in progress...
/etc/rc: fsck: permission denied
Unknown error in reboot
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

So each time it boots it's stuck in single user mode and says fsck is =
denied. Now I tried running /stand/fsck -y /, /stand/fsck -y /usr, =
etc.... That seemed to clean the mount points, but I still only boot =
into single user mode all the time. Need help!