Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 03:09:17 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What do you think of this little hack to /usr/ports/Makefile ?

>  *  	@awk -F\| '{ printf("Port:\t%s\nPath:\t%s\nInfo:\t%s\nMaint:\t%s\nIndex
:\t%s\nB-deps:\t%s\nR-deps:\t%s\n\n", $$1, $$2, $$4, $$6, $$7, $$8, $$9); }' <
${.CURDIR}/INDEX

> Maybe we can define this command elsewhere?
>
>  * +PAGER?=	more

I did wonder about that too, actually.  I was thinking that "search"
might be a novice user kinda thing and when the first run spewed
output at me, I thought "Hmmm, novice users may not even know about
more - maybe I'd better page it for them in this one case."

Upon further reflection, that's probably taking things too far. :-)

> I wouldn't use a pager here, the users can pipe the output themselves
> if they want it.  Also, print-index doesn't have a pager.

Right, consider the pager idea nuked.

> Other than that, it looks fine (although I somehow can't see much use
> for it).

Not for you, perhaps, but I'll certainly use it in my one-liner
answers to questions when someone asks for something obvious from the
ports collection.  Telling them to grep the INDEX file for it (and how
else do you find something quickly?) is an inferior solution because
the output is then cryptic and unreadable.  This was my attempt to
fix that.

					Jordan