Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:14:41 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no sound with fxtv

There are some sysctl variables that allow you to tune how it operates:
$ sysctl hw.bt848
hw.bt848.card: 2
hw.bt848.tuner: -1
hw.bt848.reverse_mute: -1
hw.bt848.format: -1

The -1 values indicate that the driver detected values are used.  In my
case, I've overridden the card type since it got probed wrong with my
month-old kernel by doing:

$ sysctl -w hw.bt848.card=2

If you look at /sys/pci/brooktree848.c, you'll see some tables that
correspond to tuner type and board type.  Look for the tuners[] array
and the cards[] array.

If you're getting a good picture, then chances are the tuner type was
correctly probed.  I don't know about the bt878-based boards, but the
bt848 based boards used a general purpose I/O port on the chip to control
other on-board periperals, such as audio muxes and the like.  It may be
that if the board type was misdetected (or if your board isn't properly
supported), then the GPIO bits that get twiddled may not actually be
poking whatever audio mux is on the board.

It's been ages since I've been inside the bt848 driver, so things have
changed and the details are likely different than I remember..

louie