Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:17:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@FreeBSD.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: MFC of src/etc/rc.subr

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> > > My concern is that people will start writing scripts that use these
> > > interfaces, then we're going to change them. However, if no one else
> > > objects, I suppose it's ok....
> >
> > Actually, I think this is a good reason. I'm going to think on it some
> > more. I have some ideas I need to flesh out and probably talk with lukem
> > about.
>
> Not MFC'ing just the ports part

	There is no "just the ports part." /etc/rc.subr is the hingepin
for the entire netbsd rc system. Any changes we might make in -current
would then have to be pushed down. My concern is that if we do encourage
people to start adopting this style for ports, we should know what the
style is first.

> Personally, I don't care if the code is buggy, if it's off by
> default.
>
> Remember that devfs was MFC'ed under the same constraints, so
> there is precedent.

Yes, and look what a spectacular success that was...

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?