Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:42:24 +0530
From:      Sridhar M <sridharm@in.ceeyes.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Help me regarding IP forwarding]

--------------F8F3D12FC2E36A8B8F846BA5

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:49:13 +0530
From: Sridhar M <sridharm@in.ceeyes.com>
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Help me regarding IP forwarding

hi

while i am working on FreeBSD5.0, my system has configured with two
ethernet cards which was i need.
and  my system ethernet cards configuration are
fxp0  : ip : 10.1.6.160/24
fxp1: ip 10.1.6.161/24
default gateway : ip : 10.1.6.1
gateway and routed was enabled .
i am able to ping locally to the card fxp0( 10.1.6.160)interface, but
not to fxp1 (10.1.6.161) interface.   as this testing was done without
connecting network,

1).. If i connected  two interfaces (fxp0 and fxp1)to network  then we
are able to ping locally as well as in the network.

2). If i coonected  one interface(fxp0) to network , we are able to ping

fxp0(10.1.6.160) in the network as well as locally., but not to
fxp1(10.1.6.161) in either cas.

3)I f i coonected one interface(fxp1) to network, we are not able to
ping both (fxp0 and fxp1) in the noetwork. but able to ping locally to
only fxp0..

4) and i have placed fxp0 ip as the gateway for fxp1, then i am able to
ping fxp1 locally..
those are all the case that i have tesetd.....?  what might be the
problem? and i want to forward the packets from one interface to another
interface on network.
 our setup is freebsd system having two ethernet cards... one ethenet
card is connected to one host and another ehternet card is connected to
another host k, now i am unable to ping from one host   to another host
thru these ethernet cards. these two hosts and free BSD system  are in
the same network.

so that was the problem, is it possible with freeBSD  ? if yes , what
could be the neceessary things to be take care? what are all the steps i
have to follow to make this packet forwrding enable? please help me, i
will be greateful  to u for your response.......
thank Q
sridhar