Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:22:25 GMT
From:      Ian@tirnanog.org (Ian J Greely)
To:        David Syphers <dsyphers@igpp.llnl.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86

Hi,

I understand your frustration at this only too well. However with the
particular problem you have the mobile group has been discussing on and off
for a few weeks now. I'd suggest that you have a read of the archives of
this mailing list (available on the www site) and see what some of the
Gurus have done :)

As I recall I also believe that Brian has something to do with this
neomagic chipset on the freebsd page of his site.

The problem as I understand it is that the Neomagic people do not intend to
disclose the "mysteries" of their chipset to anyone whom is producing
"Free" software. It's pretty particular to the nature of your machine as
(B)leading edge. As time goes by the kinks will be worked out and your
problems will be sorted for people in the future. :)

I agree with you *wholeheartedly* about moving over from the mainstream
into the mysteries of 'nix not being well catered for. :) To this end might
I suggest that *when* you have resolved your difficulties that you put
together a *simple* post stating the steps you used to get *your* machine
working with XFree. In this way you will save the next poor bugger whom
hits your problems from having to do all the donkey work himself. If we
encourage people to document what they did when they are new to this then
those documents will be more applicable to people in an 'Nix entry level.
:)

That said as the gurus are having problems you may not get this running
"properly" for a while. However you should, at least, be able to run in
VGA.

You might also have a look at the Linux Laptops pages. As both FreeBSD and
Linux use XFree there is little practical difference between the
configurations for both of the systems. That is how I finally managed to
get my Laptop using XFree in 800X600.

regards,
Ian

ps Ickey Ickey Ickey Phootang! And where is that shrubery?