Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:20:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jimmy Thomson <glitch@execpc.com>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
Subject:   Re: install from 4.1 CDROM failed

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 media@ct1.nai.net wrote:

> At 10:21 AM -0700 10/01/00, Heredity Choice wrote:
> >
> >I get this error message when I try installing on a drive with bad blocks.
> >DOS is very tolerant of bad blocks. Check for bad blocks with DOS
> >Scandisk.
>
> Thanx!!  I ran Scandisk before, but I did it again, and it still didn't
> find anything wrong.
>
> >Typically a harddrive warranty runs from the date of manufacture which
> >should be on the drive's paper label, 3 years for IDE and 5 years for
> >SCSI. Contact the manufacturer and he will give you a number and address
> >to return it for free warranty replacement.
>
> This drive was given to me, so I cannot return it to the manufacturer.
> Then again, I don't have any evidence that the disk is bad.  Is there any
> other way to solve the problem??  Can I use the 3.4 installer to create the
> partition and then use the 4.1 installer??

What type of drive is it?  Many manufacturers have utilities to detect
problems with their drives.  There may not be anything wrong with the
actual drive platter, it could be something odd like the drive has bad
cache in it.

Just because the drive was given to you doesn't mean you can't RMA it.  I
have found that most drive manufacturers don't even ask for proof of
purchase.

Jimmy