Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:27:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        dannyman@dannyland.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape situation

> On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 09:03:18AM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > Can netscape be built from sources? I mean, the source are freely
> > available, aren't they?
> >
> > So if one wants to set out to find the point where it crashes
> > one could build a debuggable version?
> >
> > Did anyone go though this already?
>
> The original Netscape source doesn't include Java, and requires Motif.
>
> The new Mozilla project is allegedly coming along well and usually builds.
> It's a lot to build, and it's a development browser - meaning it's little more
> than a rendering engine at this point.
>
> If someone could advise on the best way of getting old aout X libraries onto
> an ELF system, I'd like to hear it.  I'm currently browsing with grail, which
> isn't too bad.  I like that it handles my existing Netscape bookmarks,
> actually.
>
> -danny
>
> -danny
>
> --
> dannyman - http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/

 I put a bug in the PR data base on this; the aout X libraries shipped
with the 3.1-RELEASE CDs have some issues.

 I solved the problem by grabbing the X11 libraries from a 2.2.8
CD (they are in the XF86bin gzipped tar file) and copying them
to /usr/X11R6/lib/aout.

 At that point, I was able to run netscape 4.5 and 4.08 just fine.

 Also - you may want to know, the problem affects JAVA programs as
well.

 See pr#10473 in the PR database for more details.

	- Dave Rivers -