Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:02:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca (Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group), mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again)

> > Rdist was also discussed.  Rdist5, rdist6, and rsync should share the
> > same status.  Some of us have vendor and FreeBSD systems, use rdist5.
> > Others use Linux and FreeBSD system, use rdist6.  Others, like myself,
> > use rsync.  Too bad this discussion just fizzled out with no decision.
>
> I wouldn't be sorry to see the r* utilities (rsh, rcp, rmt...)
> disappear either.

I would, I use them.

Now if you wanted to shoot perl in the head, I'd be the first to
jump on your bandwagon; I _don't_ generally use perl, and for
things that need it, it could be a port.

Having perl in the base system makes it a pain to run perl on
multiple platforms at exactly the same version level, because
perl's autodetect stuff in autoconf and CPAN are both too
stupid to use the configured paths to get the perl you want from
/usr/local (or wherever) instead of the system default.  I had a
lot of pain with keeping the same perl on FreeBSD and AIX over
this, which was particularly bothersome because PERL is not
strictly ANSI conformant (it's missing some volatile declarations
that it should have), and so the most recent perl compiled with
AIX xLC fails to pass the internal perl tests.

Unfortunately, you can't mix gcc and xLC objects, since gcc has
some gratuitous differences in symbol naming, and can't safely
compile some of the OpenSSL and similar code that uses shared
object modules.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---