Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:47:37 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Cc:        ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   CFR: iconv functions (was: Proposal to include iconv library in the base system)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Boris Popov wrote:

> Proposal to include iconv library and iconv(1) program in the base system.
>
> This library of functions and its companion iconv program provide
> converts between various single-byte and multibyte charsets.  These iconv*
> functions are essential in the mixed networks and on local machines with
> multiple charsets.

	Ok, it seems that I can comment on all questions by myself:

> The questionable part is a which set of character sets should be
> included in the base system and which should be supplied as packages.

	Initially only library code needs to be imported, and the rest
supplied as ports/packages.

> Secondly, where should the functions be placed? Initially, the iconv
> library was a separate file (libiconv*).  However, it seems that
> Solaris has the library in libc and Linux in glibc.  I do not
> know how HPUX does this.

	libc seems to be the right place for iconv* functions.

> And the third question is where I should place the source code for
> character conversion schemes in the source tree.

	This is no longer an issue because CCS'es will be supplied as
ports for now.

	If nobody objects I'm going to commit iconv library at the end of
next week as part of the smbfs import.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/