Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2006 00:11:20 +0100
From:      Fredrik Lindberg <fli+freebsd-hackers@shapeshifter.se>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   UPEK TouchChip TFM/ESS Fingerprint BSP driver for FreeBSD

Hi all,

I just thought that I let you know that UPEK [1] has released a native
FreeBSD driver (binary only, closed source) for their fingerprint
sensors.

UPEK manufactures alot of fingerprint sensors, both built-in and
standalone usb-readers.  You can find them for example in several
notebooks (IBM, Asus, Samsung, NEC, etc).
There is a full list avaiable at
http://www.upek.com/customer/pcnetworking/default.asp

The driver itself is avaiable at
http://www.upek.com/support/dl_freeBSD_bsp.asp
and works as a module to the BioAPI [2] framework.

I've also written a small quick-starting guide which covers the
basics, it's avaiable at
http://shapeshifter.se/articles/upek_touchchip_freebsd/

Please keep in mind that this is all quite new and should
be treated as "beta code".

I should probably point out that I'm not affiliated with
UPEK in any way except for providing their developers guidance in
porting their Linux driver to FreeBSD.

Also, I would like to thank the guys over at UPEK,
especially Martin Konecny, for making this possible.

    Fredrik Lindberg

[1] http://www.upek.com
[2] http://www.bioapi.org