Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 20:31:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      bugs@freebsd.netcom.com (Mark Hittinger)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: user ppp/3c509 hangs and stuff

> From: Terry Braun <tab@talking.talking.com>
> I set up the 3c509 with the "server" option under the 3com
> config program. Anyone have more experience with this?
> Is memory an issue?

Yes!  I initially started out using the "server" option but ultimately
wound up using the "client" option.

The so called server option seems to reduce the number of interrupts in
a particular time window so that a DOS/NOVELL server can have some cycles
for other things.  I think it just drops packets man!

The client options allows the card to run flat out.

It makes a *big* performance difference on sustained ftp.

For some reason FreeBSD didn't seem burdened by the processor overhead
that 3com was worried about :-)

A hardware kludge to cover for lame software is what I think it is.  Turn
it off.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
Netcom/Dallas