Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 01:38:14 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinsman <nathank@mentisworks.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Newbies vanishing?

Actually, I think FreeBSD gains nothing but benefit from Linux.
Especially after the various Linux IPOs and increased
commercialization.  The different Linux camps will become more
fragmented due to profit minded competitiveness, and FreeBSD will remain
committed to its users and enhancing the operating systems without
having counterproductive underlying motivations.  I really think FreeBSD
is being given a sort of manifest destiny in the current environment,
and will become increasingly respected as a clean, unadulterated open
source ideal, and we well get an increasing number of FreeBSD converts
coming from all camps.  Likewise, commercialization and increased
popularity of Linux is leading to more and better open source software
projects, which is most cases offer direct benefit to FreeBSD, and in my
opinion it is often easier to obtain and get running currently available
open source software on FreeBSD then any individual Linux distribution
(given the ports and packages collections, standardized compilers and
libraries, and increased concern from cross platform computability).
Many software projects will provide an RPM for Red Hat or Suse, but with
30 or more linux distributions all using slightly different technologies
it gets harder and more sloppy to install "Linux" software on Linux, I
think FreeBSD is becoming a better Linux then Linux.

As far as newbies not posting as many questions, I think this is partly
due to the increased number of web and newsgroup resources available.  I
rarely, if ever, have a question about FreeBSD I have not been able to
find an answer for somewhere on the Internet.  As result, I've been
using FreeBSD for 2 years now and have learned everything I know about
it from existing resources.  My perception of many current FreeBSD
newbies is that the are converts from other Unix or Unix like OS camps
and don't need as much hand holding.

My only real concern for the future of FreeBSD is threads support,
without a good threads implementations the performance of Linux on
modern server and workstation machines could become significantly
superior, and much software is requiring threads.  But I think good
progress is being made.  I wish I could do more to contribute.

Best Regards,

Nathan Kinsman