Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:14:43 +0000
From:      Mark Zielinski <markz@2cactus.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read-Only Filesystems

This is a attack that we fixed in SecureBSD by not allowing
filesystems to be un-mounted and re-mounted back in May of 1999.
We added security checks to the mount() and unmount() system calls
based upon a MIB called securebsd.options.mount which could be
turned on or off depending upon your securelevel setting.

Around the time that we wrote this feature, if your securelevel
was not set to two or higher, root users could un-mount a filesystem
and directly write to the file system's raw device in order to remove
file flags on files.  This option prevented this attack, even when
your securelevel was only set at a level of one.

--

Mark Zielinski
2 Cactus Development