Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:14:51 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
Cc:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: progress report on connection problems

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> [lots o descriptions deleted]
> > I can connect to, and be connected to these OSs with no worries.
> > I have tried setting tcp_extensions NO and YES. If set to YES, I am unable
> >
> > The only constant is the Annex. However, why does it pass _most_ traffic,
> > if it is the fault of the Annex, and only fail on some.?
>
> Hmm, I'm seeing problems with the Annex's too if I run with tcp_extensions
> enabled. Somehow the Annex's turn some of the trafic into "chernobyl"
> packets (ie all lamps and bells set). This is only a problem
> if the other end also supports the extensions (ie a FreeBSD box).
> However all problems dissapear if I disable the extensions.
> I guess the only solution is to bug the vendor to implement a
> modern IP stackc...

Just wondering, but would it be possible to detect these bogus packets
from the Annex and revert to no-rfc1323 for the connection?

And for Robert: If you read RFC 1323, you'll find that it deals with TCP
sequence number wrapping on log fat pipes, so unless you have a 155 Mbps
ATM connection to Melbourne, you won't need RFC 1323.  After having
problems like this with someone in Melbourne who could not send me mail,
or read my WWW server, I have disabled RFC 1323 extensions on my main
boxes so that Annex-crippled people around the world can talk to me.  My
512kbps link means that there is no point to the extensions anyway

I'll send you the RFC.

regards,

Danny