Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 23:10:34 +0300
From:      Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
To:        Fisher Mark <fisherm@tce.com>
Cc:        "'Dan Kogai'" <dankogai@dan.co.jp>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, perl5-porters@perl.org, ask@perl.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 03:00:45PM -0500, Fisher Mark wrote:
> > One possible solution might be as follow;
> >
> > rename /usr/src/contrib/perl5 to /usr/src/contrib/miniperl5
> >
> > and just add enough file to build miniperl.
>
> I've read all the messages in this thread, but I'm still unclear -- are we
> talking about building the "miniperl" that Perl already creates during the
> build process?  If not, the minimal perl for building the FreeBSD kernel
> should have a different name, like:
> 	smallperl
> 	modestperl
> 	tightperl
> 	midgetperl
> 	petiteperl
> or something similar.  I see much potential for confusion if "miniperl"
> means different Perl builds in different contexts.

Yes, if it is anything more than the one single executable "miniperl",
it should be called something else (it probably should have something
a little bit more, again, see Debian's perl-base for a reasonable set
of functionality).

I STRONGLY suggest that this discussion should get it's own mailing list,
though, this is off topic for both perl5-porters and freebsd-current.
I'm certain both those lists are busy enough, and OS distrib people
need a common ground.

perl-dist@perl.org?  Ask, could you create the list?

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/