Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:24:44 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: wi driver and WaveLAN IEEE 802.11 Turbo cards

All of the wireless ethernet systems I've seen have a central box
(switch or bridge) which communicates with the PCMCIA cards.  For my
home use I would only have two PCMCIA cards (two laptops) using it and
connected to an inhouse ethernet.  I'm wondering if I could purchase
simply three PCMCIA cards, one for each of two laptops, and one for an
extra FreeBSD system.  Then use the FreeBSD system as a router between
the inhouse wired ethernet and the wireless ethernet?  The real
question is whether the central box does something other than simply
bridging packets between the two networks.  Does it do some part of
the protocol which the PCMCIA cards can't do?  Can a system with one
PCMCIA card receive packets from multiple other PCMCIA cards directly,
or do you have to always set it up as a star using the specialized
central box?

/raj