Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:43:42 -0500
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Not detecting PS/2 mouse

    For some reason, FreeBSD (versions 2.2.8, and 3.1, as well as a
snapshot of 3.0) doesn't detect my ps/2 mouse.  I've tried a number of
different mice (Logitech 3-button, Microsoft, Compaq), all of which have
worked under Linux and OpenBSD, but which have never been detected by
FreeBSD.  Even thought the GENERIC kernel is supposed to support the
ps/2 mouse, I went ahead and recompiled the kernel under 2.2.8, but it
still refused to see it.
    During the boot process I've also gone in UserConfig mode to specify
different io ports...  Still no luck.
     I'm going to try to recompile the kernel under 3.1 tonight and give
it another go.
    I would really like to give up on Linux and switch over to FreeBSD
but I have no free serial ports and can't exactly do much without a
mouse.
    The computer is a Compaq Presario 2200, with a Cyrix MediaGX
processor and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Adam K