Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:51:27 -0700
From:      "David Christensen" <davidch@broadcom.com>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD discarding received packets > MTU

> > It could certainly be argued by some that Cisco is not standards
> > compliant in this case for sending an oversized Ethernet frame
> > and expecting everyone to accept it.  Hardware has limitations
> > and assuming that all Ethernet controllers can support frames
> > greater than 1522 bytes is not reasonable.  Fortunately there is
> > a suitable workaround which is setting a larger MTU for the=20
> > interface.  What size do you use?  How did you arrive at that
> > value?
>=20
> I use 1550 to make it work in the test harness.
>=20
> The trouble is that if I set the mtu to 1550, and the machine=20
> talks to another
> such machine with it's mtu also set to 1550 then they=20
> negotiate a maximum sized
> packet based on 1550, and the problem hits me again. This is=20
> a web proxy=20
> and that problem occurs when there are two layers of proxy=20
> and one proxy talks to=20
> another. I really just need it to to silently accept a packet some=20
> 32 bytes or so larger than the stated MTU.
>=20
> I see no reason for the driver to not do what the em driver=20
> does and allow=20
> itself to receive any packet up to the MCLBYTES size.
>=20
> We only hit this problem recently because the data interfaces on our
> devices are usually em NICs and we only just recently started=20
> allowing the=20
> users to use the built in (on DELL 2950) bce interfaces for=20
> this purpose.
>=20

I'm not completely opposed to making such a change, but I don't want
to make a default change in the driver's behavior that other people=20
may be depending upon (whether they are aware of it or not).  A
tunable driver value could be the answer but I'm not entirely sure
how it would fare in the hardware at the high end of MTU values such=20
as 9000.

Dave